remote PC - Wake On Lan - WOL

Topics that doesn't fall into the categories above
thestapler

remote PC - Wake On Lan - WOL

Post by thestapler »

I want to be able to "wake" the remote pc if it is off using the WOL magic packet... is there a way to do that when you click on the remote server to do this? The reason for this, is that sometimes a user will "shutdown" their PC, and then they can't log in the next day... and someone has to go turn it back on. The OS on the computers are Windows10 Pro, and they will either be ESXI VM's, or they will be physical Dell desktops (all have WOL options)

I've seen a few posts about this, but nothing that I fully understand how to implement?
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: remote PC - Wake On Lan - WOL

Post by aka »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (38.23 KiB) Viewed 16230 times
thestapler

Post by thestapler »

OK, I see that option, but does that wake the "wtware" pc up? I am looking at this from the users perspective... where they will be starting their PI running WTWARE, and connecting to their remote desktop, but for some reason it got powered off... so I want them to be able to "wake it up"... rather than the user having to call me to go in and turn it on for them.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

It wakes up a computer that supports WOL in hardware and that has WOL enabled in BIOS.

Raspberry hardware does not support WOL.
thestapler

Post by thestapler »

ok, I am not looking to use the WOL on the Pi. All our users use PI4 as the wtware clients, it is the computers they're connecting to that I want to use WOL with, incase they are somehow powered off when they go to connect to them. the WTWARE client they are sitting in front of, the user can power it on themselves.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

thestapler

Post by thestapler »

Ok, the last message on that says to use that build... if I use the current build 6.0.24 and that wol.zip script, will it work? and what if I have to wake up multiple machines? too bad it isn't a configuration on the connection parameters to WOL
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

It should work with current build.
alexmoore

Post by alexmoore »

I've been trying to get the wol.zip script working with my RPi3 WTWare thin client, but no success from the instructions on the other topic.
I have the zip file in the configs directory, and edited the config file to include extra=wol.zip but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Docs on the extra parameter are slim too :?

I was able to unzip the wol.zip to the configs directory, but how do I get that script to run at startup?

Thanks
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

alexmoore

Post by alexmoore »

Code: Select all

18-50-42-928| [            gm] [   14.835987] [unzip] Unpack '/bootmedia/configs/wol.zip' to '/'.
18-50-42-928| [            gm] [   14.839118] [unzip] Unpack '/wol/', directory.
18-50-42-928| [            gm] [   14.839161] [unzip] Unpack '/wol/runme', 51 bytes.
18-50-42-928| [            gm] [   14.839199] [EXTRA] No /runme file in 'wol.zip'. Nothing to run.
Ahh, I had an extra /wol/ directory in there, and it needed to only have the runme script inside the zip and nothing else. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction aka.