It is not possible to build a RDP session with 16 bit with newer versions of WTware?

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
fox-007

It is not possible to build a RDP session with 16 bit with newer versions of WTware?

Post by fox-007 »

I've been using Raspberry PI 3B with WTware for some time successfully for RDP sessions to W2008R2 terminal servers.
Because of some slow connections, the terminal servers have been limited to 16 bits of color depth.
Everything worked perfectly until version 5.6.24.
Now I tried it with newer versions of WTware.
But the connection fails with the message "Server requires 16 bit color depth ........"
I enabled the entry "frame_buffer = 16" and added bpp = 16. But always without success.
If I change the limit on the terminal server to 32 bits everything works fine.
Is it no longer possible to connect RDP sessions with 16 bit color depth?
I have attached the log file of the Rpi to you.
Attachments
RPi 3 B-WTware 5.8.66-log.txt
(33.16 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: It is not possible to build a RDP session with 16 bit with newer versions of WTware?

Post by aka »

Please, try wtware version 5.8.68.
fox-007

Re: It is not possible to build a RDP session with 16 bit with newer versions of WTware?

Post by fox-007 »

Thank you very much. The 16-bit color depth works again.
I already have 15 Raspberry Pi 3Bs with WTware as terminal server client in use.
This works great.
Here is a tip from me:
The problem with switching on and off I could solve with this product:
Ansmann AES3 Zero Watt - Smart PC - Power Saving Socket
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00386RXW6/?sm ... th=1&psc=1
Only the monitor is on the desk and the power button is fixed on its base.
The monitor and the Raspberry are connected to the AES3.
After logging out of the terminal server, the monitor switches to standby mode. When the standby current of the monitor is reached, both devices are automatically completely disconnected from the socket after one minute. Then the devices do not consume any standby power.
Attached are 2 photos of such a computer workstation.
In the future I want to replace about 15 desktop computers with Windows 7 against Raspberry PI with WTware.
It is then very expensive then for all terminals to buy more licenses often.
Is it necessary to update regularly for security reasons? Or can I continue to use the existing versions on the network without compromising security?
We are a nonprofit organization that cares for old and sick people.
Our budget for IT is therefore very limited.
I would be very grateful for an answer.
Attachments
20191021_121038_1.jpg
20191021_121038_1.jpg (165.98 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
20191021_120956_1.jpg
20191021_120956_1.jpg (196.18 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

fox-007 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm After logging out of the terminal server, the monitor switches to standby mode. When the standby current of the monitor is reached, both devices are automatically completely disconnected from the socket after one minute. Then the devices do not consume any standby power.
Great. It turns power off with monitor in standby and working Raspberry?
fox-007 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:33 pm Is it necessary to update regularly for security reasons?
I don't think so. WTware is for "install and forgot". The hardest security problem I have ever heard with wtware was deleted configs over HTTP remote control with trivial password.

Install updates on Windows Server.
fox-007

Post by fox-007 »

Thanks again.
I also feel that WTware is a safe solution for our network.

Yes, the socket adapter AES3 can be taught. He learns how high the standby current of the monitor is and the current of the Raspberry. When this power is reached, it turns off the monitor and the Raspberry completely. I have both devices connected via a double table socket on the AES3. The Raspberry is automatically de-energized and then boots even when the power returns. Of course this also works with a desktop PC, TV, AV receiver and so on. In the bios of the PC you could set the behavior after the return of the power supply to "power on".

Your solution to connect a camera (Nicon Coolpix) that is not recognized as mass storage with VirtualHere, I have already tested successfully with a Windows 10 notebook (even without Bonjour). Now I want to test the behavior of the VirtualHere client without the Bojour service on the Windows Terminal Server 2008R2. I want to know if it is possible to assign only the USB devices that are connected to the respective WTware terminal only to this RDP session.
Have you ever tested this behavior?
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

VirtualHere does not know about RDP session.

To connect device to RDP session you need Microsoft USB redirection. It works in 2012R2 server and newer: viewforum.php?f=25 But it will not redirect PTP/MTP devices :(