Wtware on RPi4

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
jazzldazzl

Re: Wtware on RPi4

Post by jazzldazzl »

Awesome! How does it not work with chrome? That you can see all apps, all browsers except for chrome?
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

WTware has local chrome. Write "application=chrome" in config and you get chrome without connecting to RDP server. It was broken on Pi4 in wtware 5.8.60.
In wtware 5.8.62, local chrome should run on Raspberry Pi 4.
jazzldazzl

Post by jazzldazzl »

Gotcha, so all in all it does what it should in terms of being a remote desktop client? Did anyone test it with watching full screen 1080p videos?
Fraal

Post by Fraal »

Hi all,

Firstly thank you too the wtware guys for their hard work getting this out to us! Initial testing so far the results are a fantastic with a significant improvement over the RPi3 b+.

My test environment is a Windows 2016 pooled session collection, 16CPU's with 32GB of ram, no vGPU.

I configured my clients with fairly default settings as you would expect, network boot, 50ms sound buffer, 200ms redraw_delay, 32bpp, hw sound use a USB sound bar (plugged into the USB3.0 port). I use a mix of combined USB port power (2A max) for some and the official RPi 2.5A 5.1v power supply for most of the other RPi3+'s.

Using the 3 model B+ I could get youtube to play in windowed mode with around 30fps @ 1080p, full screen is unwatchable. Everything else from word processing to basic multimedia and editing is great.

With the RPi4 4GB version booting off SD (will network boot when supported) same settings, booted 30% quicker than RPi3+, no issues. Once in Windows desktop everything was very crisp with zero jitter or artifacts. YouTube played perfectly and yes, full screen works! No problems at all!
Please note I am only using a 2.5A power supply, I assume there was still power available and that the CPU wasn't throttled due to no power warning however a full 3A may improve things down the track.

This basically means I'm replacing all our RPi's with 4's however I'm waiting on the 2GB version to test first, I suspect very close results to the 4GB version. I will test the 1GB version tomorrow and update on experience, I'm not confident on seeing big improvements though!
Fraal

Post by Fraal »

One last thing to add, I configure the remote desktop settings to use lossless video setting however I have also configured it to detect network bandwidth and compress based off bandwidth, meaning some client sessions the video is pixelated and goes to lossless when image is static. Not a great experience when watching videos however the end result is a video with audio in sync and no lag\jitter. I will change host config to full lossless and then should see some changes, I'm hoping windows mode videos are perfect lossless with sound in frame sync, full screen yet to comment!
Fraal

Post by Fraal »

Hi team,

Does the current build of wtware (5.8.62) support the RPi4's 4GB ram? Seems it only knows about 770MB, if so will this change in next build?

Cheers.
Attachments
RPi4-4GB.PNG
RPi4-4GB.PNG (104.11 KiB) Viewed 54594 times
jazzldazzl

Post by jazzldazzl »

Fraal wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm One last thing to add, I configure the remote desktop settings to use lossless video setting however I have also configured it to detect network bandwidth and compress based off bandwidth, meaning some client sessions the video is pixelated and goes to lossless when image is static. Not a great experience when watching videos however the end result is a video with audio in sync and no lag\jitter. I will change host config to full lossless and then should see some changes, I'm hoping windows mode videos are perfect lossless with sound in frame sync, full screen yet to comment!
Hi Fraal,

Thanks for testing, can´t be long till I follow in your footsteps :) How did you configure the bandwidth and compress based off bandwidth?
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Fraal wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 am Does the current build of wtware (5.8.62) support the RPi4's 4GB ram?
We have no one to test now. It will run later.
Fraal

Post by Fraal »

Hi akatik,

Do you mean you don't have a RPi4 4GB version to test?
If so I have one I can ship you for testing, let me know!
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Yes, we don't have it for tests and it would be great. Write me to license@wtware.com
jazzldazzl

Post by jazzldazzl »

Just got a rpi4 w 4GB RAM and can confirm how great this works on my 720p TV. Only tweaked the config so that it outputs sound to the minijack, and then I could enjoy glitchfree 1080p video! Audio seems to be shifted a bit, not sure if by + or -, but I´ll deal with that later. This was over LAN btw. if I use my 5Ghz wifi, where the router is 1 meter from the rpi, it´s all full of glitches when watching a 1080p clip. Perhaps a USB-wifiadapter with antenna would handle that better. Don´t know..

Now for a silly question: How do you shutdown rpi once it´s booted into the remote session? I assume Windows Shut Down pulldown menu will shutdown the host computer?
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

We remove "shutdown" buttons on RPi. We can make software shutdown, but how will you start it later?

PS: 5.8.64 should support the RPi4's 4GB ram.
jazzldazzl

Post by jazzldazzl »

I have an on/off button on the powercable to the raspberry. Is software reboot then possible?
Muetzenfrosch

Post by Muetzenfrosch »

On the download site, I don't see a version 5.8.64, only a 5.8.62 from Aug. '19. Has the .64 version been pulled back?
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Yes, there was a problem with this version.