How it works (complex way)

Special tool from VirtualHere company for USB redirection. One device for each thin client for free
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

How it works (complex way)

Post by akatik »

VirtualHere allows to redirect one USB device from each thin client for free.

VirtualHere license doesn't allow to add their server into WTware distributive. So you'll have to download it and prepare.

1. On the page "Linux USB Server" download "Generic VirtualHere USB Server Builds" for needed architecture. WTware works on three architectures: i386, AMD64, ARM.

All Raspberry Pi versions are ARM architecture. So for Raspberry you are to download VirtualHere USB Server for Linux (ARM), file vhusbdarm.

Common x86-compatible computer may be i386 or AMD64. Boot WTware on needed computer, place mouse in the right bottom corner and look at popup window. If near WTware version you see UEFI word, it's 64-bit WTware, and you are to download VirtualHere USB Server for Linux (AMD64), file vhusbdx86_64.

If there's no UEFI word near WTware version and logo, then WTware for i386 architecture works on this computer. You are to download VirtualHere USB Server for Linux (i386), file vhusbdi386.

2. Write script for running. Text file must be named runme without extension. File contents for different architectures:

i386:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
chmod +x vhusbdi386
/vhusbdi386 -b
AMD64:

#!/bin/sh
chmod +x vhusbdx86_64
/vhusbdx86_64 -b
ARM:

#!/bin/sh
chmod +x vhusbdarm
/vhusbdarm -b

3. File with VirtualHere server and running script runme (both files without extensions!) pack to zip archive.

4. Copy zip archive to C:\ProgramData\WTware\Everyone directory for terminals that download configs by network. Or to configs/ directory on boot disk for terminal, that store configs on local disk, this could be done by network using terminal web-interface.

5. In terminal configuration file specify:

extra=name_of_archive_from_3_item.zip
That's all. Reboot terminal, find in log messages from vhusbi386 (or vhusbdx86_64, or vhusbdarm). If all is correct, in log you should see such line:

[SYSLOG] <14>Jul 31 07:02:57 vhusbdi386[827]: >>> Starting VirtualHere USB Server v3.8.1 (Built: Dec 14 2018, 14:36:02)<<<
On Windows computer run VirtualHere USB Client from the page https://www.virtualhere.com/usb_client_software and configure as in manufacturer manual.

We managed to redirect USB-COM bridge, but failed to redirect USB camera. I.e. nothing special, RDP USB redirection gives almost the same results.

If you'll manage to redirect devices, that you failed to redirect using RDP - write in this topic!

Here are ready zip-archives with servers of 3.8.1 version for different architectures: http://wtware.com/files/virtualhere/
It's better not to use them, but pack your own with fresh server's version, as described above.
Frankieg60

Re: How it works

Post by Frankieg60 »

When i try this on a rpi3 i can't get it to work. I get permission denied in terminal log. See below.

| Archive:  /tmp/extra-usb.zip
|   inflating: runme
|   inflating: vhusbdarm
[            gm] [   12.540563] +------------------------
[            gm] [   12.540821] Run '/bin/sh /runme', log '/tmp/extra.out', env '', pid ''.
[          pfac] [   12.540950] Run /bin/sh /runme.
[          pfac] [   12.541186] Ok, PID 657.
[            gm] [   12.546023] Unpack /bootmedia/packages/pi2-alsa.
[         EXTRA] [   12.547308] chmod: vhusbdarm
: No such file or directory
[         EXTRA] [   12.549007] /runme: line 3: /vhusbdarm: Permission denied
[         EXTRA] [   12.549739] /runme: line 4: 
: not found
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Send me your extra-usb.zip to support@wtware.com
Frankieg60

Post by Frankieg60 »

Got it working!! I was on version 5.6.24 because it was free. Now upgrade to 5.8.46 ans it works.

Thanks anyway.

| Archive:  /tmp/extra-usb.zip
|   inflating: runme
|   inflating: vhusbdarm
[            gm] [   13.241974] +------------------------
[            gm] [   13.242353] Run '/bin/sh /runme2unix', log '/tmp/extra.out', env '', pid ''.
[          pfac] [   13.242448] Run /bin/sh /runme2unix.
[          pfac] [   13.242631] Ok, PID 679.
[            gm] [   13.244065] Unpack /bootmedia/packages/pi2-alsa.
[            gm] [   13.244299] Remount /bootmedia for writing.
[SYSLOG] <14>Jan 11 00:00:10 vhusbdarm[681]: >>> Starting VirtualHere USB Server v3.8.2 (Built: Feb  7 2019, 16:07:25)<<<
Frankieg60

Post by Frankieg60 »

I managed to redirect a Tacx ANT+ usb stick with VirtualHere. Didn't work with RDP.
kiid

Re: How it works (complex way)

Post by kiid »

I am having some issues getting this to work with the virtualhere unlimited license. Every time I restart the pi, the license is reset. After it is connected, the usb passthrough seems to work, but the remote connection will not use the local usb, and a restart is necessary. Is there a pre-existing solution to either of these problems?
blankST

Post by blankST »

Have you guys tried USB Network Gate by Eltima for this? they have a raspberry version. I know that the VirtualHere has problems connecting several devices remotely.
I advise you to try.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

blankST wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 pm Have you guys tried USB Network Gate by Eltima for this?
Is it free?
blankST wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 pm they have a raspberry version.
Give me link please.
blankST

Post by blankST »

Alas, paid :( , the trial version is 14 days, but it is possible to write them personally and ask for a discount. Which I did.
For Raspberry version of Debian ARMv7 (https://www.usb-over-ethernet.org/downloads/). Just don't consider it as spam. :roll:
vympel

Post by vympel »

aka wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:13 pm
blankST wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 pm Have you guys tried USB Network Gate by Eltima for this?
Is it free?
blankST wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:22 pm they have a raspberry version.
Give me link please.
was it possible to fix it so that the license does not fall off after restarting the terminal?
drouven

Post by drouven »

Hi

I managed to redirect a universal USB webcam with just the default settings. Only the cam is redirected not the microphone so far. Still investigating it.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

For microphone, add to config:

sound = remote
cwt

Permanent license activation for VirtualHere

Post by cwt »

I found a solution on how to enable the license of VirtualHere permanently on WTWARE, even with the "specialized" VHUSBDARMPI4 version and not the generic VHUSBDARM. I use this on several WTWARE RPis which boot from sd card.

1.) Prepare a sd card with Raspian OS LITE (don't forget to enable SSH access) for your desired WTWARE Raspberry and start it up
2.) SSH to your Raspberry and download the appropiate version of VirtualHere (for example: wget https://www.virtualhere.com/sites/defau ... usbdarmpi4)
3.) Within the folder where you downloaded the file run the following commands:

chmod +x vhusbdarmpi4
sudo ./vhusbdarmpi4 -b
4.) Start the VirtualHere client on a Linux/Windows/OSX machine and you should see your Raspberry "server". It will state that it's unlicensed once it's discovered. Right click it within the client and select "Properties". At the right side of the license field you can click buy to obtain a license. Once you received that you can enter it within the client. If you plan to rename the USB server you can do this here too. Otherwise it will use the upcoming WTWARE hostname (PI-*MAC for example).

5.) After you entered your license establish a SSH connection and cd into the directory where you downloaded and started the vhusbdarmpi4 file. Run this command:

cat config.ini
It should look like this:

It=123456789
EasyFindId=Abcdefghijkl
EasyFindPin=a1b2c3
License=<LICENSE NUMBER>
ServerName=<HOSTNAME>
6.) Mark/copy everything from this INI file and paste it in an editor. Save this file on your workstation also as "config.ini"
7.) Download the same version of VirtualHere to your workstation you used in 2. Rename it from "vhusbdarmpi4" to "vhusbdarm". Create the "runme" file without any extension and paste the following in it:

#!/bin/sh
chmod +x vhusbdarm
/vhusbdarm -b
8.) Save the file and create a ZIP which contains:

- runme
- vhusbdarm
- config.ini

9.) Start a https browser session to your WTWARE RPi and add the appropiate entries to your config (as described in the official howto):

extra=name_of_your.zip
vhusb=on
10.) Upload the your ZIP file AND the vhusbdarm & config.ini (see sample screenshot attached)
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (36.33 KiB) Viewed 161484 times
11.) Reboot your WTWARE RPi and the USB server should be detected as licensed
Raver

Post by Raver »

drouven wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:23 pm Hi

I managed to redirect a universal USB webcam with just the default settings. Only the cam is redirected not the microphone so far. Still investigating it.
Hello, you can give instructions on how you managed to connect via usb camera to wtware rpi4. I connect the camera via usb but I don't know what entry it is necessary to write to config.