Seperate config.txt file per terminal using non-WTware TFTP server

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
johniot

Seperate config.txt file per terminal using non-WTware TFTP server

Post by johniot »

Hi,

I am trying to work with WTware on the Raspberry Pi 4B using network boot.

I am coming across an issue I was hoping you may be able to assist me with.

As I understand, the Raspberry Pi ignores DHCP option 067, so therefore requests files from the root directory.

As a result (if not using WTware TFTP server, but rather another TFTP server), the config.txt and cmdline.txt for the RPi is retrieved from the root directory. The config.txt and cmdline.txt files in the Terminals/{TerminalMAC}/ directory are ignored.

However, I have noticed that the custom WTware config files are able to be retrieved from the Terminals/{TerminalMAC}/ directory.

Is it possible to allow the RPi to request config.txt and cmdline.txt files from the Terminals/{TerminalMAC}/ directory first, and if nothing is returned to request from the root directory?

Another function I was hoping to ask about is the ability to check the config.txt file contents when performing a network boot. It is possible to see the compiled config and the terminal log, however, if the contents of the config.txt and cmdline.txt files where displayed somewhere (even in the Terminal log), it would be incredibly useful for debugging.

Thank you,
John
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Seperate config.txt file per terminal using non-WTware TFTP server

Post by akatik »

johniot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 pm Is it possible to allow the RPi to request config.txt and cmdline.txt files from the Terminals/{TerminalMAC}/ directory first, and if nothing is returned to request from the root directory?
It's WTware TFTP hack to seek for config.txt in Terminals/{TerminalMAC}/ instead of root directory. I don't know how to make it with another TFTP server.

Look at that manual about "TFTP_PREFIX" Raspberry firmware option:

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... FTP_PREFIX

It may work with another TFTP server if you copy not only config.txt but all Raspberry Pi 4B files:

bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb
bootcode.bin
cmdline.txt
config.txt
fixup4.dat
kernel7l.img
start4.elf

from root directory into prefixed directory. Look into TFTP server log to get correct prefixed directory name.
johniot wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:27 pm if the contents of the config.txt and cmdline.txt files where displayed somewhere (even in the Terminal log), it would be incredibly useful for debugging.
Raspberry firmware downloads those files before it downloads wtware files. Raspberry firmware does not save this files anywhere. We (wtware) do not know what firmware does before it starts wtware. Firmware passes several options to linux kernel via kernel command line but not whole config files it reads.