Login screen does not show up using Duo Authentication

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
JohnReinhold

Login screen does not show up using Duo Authentication

Post by JohnReinhold »

Today I installed Duo Authentication. It makes it possible to demand two factor authentication upon Windows login. Ref.: https://duo.com/docs/rdp

It works when I'm using a secondary PC connecting to my server by rdp.

But now I can not login using my Raspberry 2, running WTware. It worked fine before installing Duo. All I get is the background of the login screen, but no fields to choose user as before. It does in fact connect to my Windows Server, because in the lower right corner, I can choose language and even reset the server (and if I try, it resets / reboots). It seems like WTware can not render the fields for user/password input, when the Windows server has Duo installed.

See attached photo.
2023-01-16 16_40_04-2023-01-16 16_38_39-IMG_6114.JPG ‎- Billeder.png ‎- Billeder.png
2023-01-16 16_40_04-2023-01-16 16_38_39-IMG_6114.JPG ‎- Billeder.png ‎- Billeder.png (110.12 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
Using evaluation because I'm troubleshooting on a all new install with newest versions.

Does anybody have any ideas for me to try?

Best,
John
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Login screen does not show up using Duo Authentication

Post by akatik »

Imagine we have Windows computer.

Only Windows. Fresh, just installed, not joined to domain. Nothing more. No software from DUO.

Let's run mstsc.exe on this windows machine and connect to your server with Duo Authentication installed.

Will it work?

Or it will require to install something from DUO on Windows to display authentication interface?
JohnReinhold

Post by JohnReinhold »

Thx for your reply

Yes, it works from a Windows 10 machine (lets call it "client"), clean install without any 'knowledge' of Duo, domain, etc. - just on the same LAN as the Windows server (running Windows 10) I need to connect to (lets call it "server").

It cannot be that WTware just are unable to show the window, that shows up on the "client", when I try to connect to the "server". Looks like this:
2023-01-17 16_29_06-Duo Authentication for Windows Logon & RDP _ Duo Security – Google Chrome.png
2023-01-17 16_29_06-Duo Authentication for Windows Logon & RDP _ Duo Security – Google Chrome.png (75.74 KiB) Viewed 9275 times
I don't think this, because the window shows up after entering user name and password. And I don't even get a chance to enter those.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

JohnReinhold wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:17 pm Yes, it works from a Windows 10 machine (lets call it "client"), clean install without any 'knowledge' of Duo, domain, etc. - just on the same LAN as the Windows server (running Windows 10) I need to connect to (lets call it "server").
Did you test it?
JohnReinhold wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:17 pm It cannot be that WTware just are unable to show the window, that shows up on the "client", when I try to connect to the "server".
Show me please screenshot. Full screen with this window in mstsc.exe. I want to see mstsc.exe window frame and Dou window.

And show me wtware log after unsuccessfull authentication: http://wtware.com/logs.html

And screen photo of wtware terminal when it should show window.

mail them all to support@wtware.com
JohnReinhold

Post by JohnReinhold »

Will do soon.

I am in process of setting up a descent test environment once and for all. I am a coder myself ;-)

I'll be back !
JohnReinhold

Post by JohnReinhold »

OK, this is strange.

I installed two identical virtual machines, both running Windows 11. I did this to create the video, I just mailed to you.
The second video, I wanted to record was to show how it does (not) work when using WTware on Raspberry PI. I was surpriced to see that it works!!

So, my problem is now that it works connecting from PI to the virtual W11-server - but not to my physical machine running Windows 10. And it also works from one Windows 10/11 client to my physical machine.

My conclusion must be that WTware works - my Windows 10 installation on the server, that I need to connect to from the PI, must be the problem. I'll investigate futher...

I thank you for your time.

/John
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Show me please wtware log: http://wtware.com/logs.html

After unsuccessful connect to Windows 10.
JohnReinhold

Post by JohnReinhold »

OK, log and video sent in email...
Attachments
Terminal log for techsupport.txt
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Everything looks good in log. No errors. I have no ideas what to do from our side. If you send me another log from wtware connecting successfully to Windows 11, I can compare them. Low probability that I will find a significant difference...
JohnReinhold

Post by JohnReinhold »

OK

I just tried something else: I installed W11 and Duo (on a secondary drive) on the server (the one I'm trying to connect to). And it worked when I tried to connect from the PI!

This just confirms what I suspected earlier - that it is my old W10-installation on the server, that messes op something about Duo, when connecting to it by RDP from Rasp PI.

Thanks for all your help - no need for further investigation. I'm planning to start over, using W11.