Virtualbox- how to boot a VM remotely

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
sassriverrat

Virtualbox- how to boot a VM remotely

Post by sassriverrat »

Good Morning,

I have Virtualbox because I'm used to it, but I'm happy to run another VM application if there's a solution to this. I want to run at least one, but ideally 3VMs on a local machine and then use my RPi4's as thin Clients. There's a lot on the web about doing it via RDP to terminal services, but I specifically want it within a VM. The easier it is, the better, although I'm pretty savvy and a quick read. However, what I can't figure out is how to start a VM. It's easy enough to set Virtualbox to start when the host starts, but ideally, I don't want the VMs running all the time...so how would I start a VM remotely? In the best situation, it would be such that when the Rasperry Pi booted, the VM would "boot" so that to the end user on the Pi, they would never know that a Pi was running, but instead just another windows computer.

The only reason I'm sticking with the VM over another user account on the host is for 1. Upgrades/managing the machine and 2. The ability to "take" a VM with me if it's entirely located on a thumb drive.

Thanks!