Pi 4 heat question

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
greavette

Pi 4 heat question

Post by greavette »

Hello,

What is the recommendation for heat dissipation on the raspberry pi 4. Do I need to use a fan?

How can I check the temperature of my Pi 4 through Wtware configuration?

Thank you.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Pi 4 heat question

Post by akatik »

Open terminal PI in web browser. CPU temperature is on CPU page.

The latest bootloader should make Pi4 a bit cooler. Follow "Recovery" instruction here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
greavette

Post by greavette »

I'm using wtware 5.8.88. Will this use the latest bootloader by default? How does the bootloader get updated in wtware? If Raspberry Pi has a new bootloader and I keep my wtware configurator up to date, will wtware automatically update each Pi thin client with a new bootloader? Or will I need to take manual steps each time I want the boot loader updated on each Pi thin client?

Thanks for showing me the temperature of each thin client! Just what i needed to know.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

greavette wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:05 pm I'm using wtware 5.8.88. Will this use the latest bootloader by default? How does the bootloader get updated in wtware? If Raspberry Pi has a new bootloader and I keep my wtware configurator up to date, will wtware automatically update each Pi thin client with a new bootloader?
No.
greavette

Post by greavette »

What bootloader is used on wtware 5.8.88? And what is the process to update wtware 5.8.88 to include the latest Raspberry Pi bootloader?

Or are you saying that wtware doesn't include any bootloader and IF I want to use a bootloader I can it manually.

Please confirm which is the answer.

thank you.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

You should implement bootloader manually as I said above: "Follow "Recovery" instruction here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/"
greavette

Post by greavette »

Hello Akatik,

Thank you for the link to the bootloader.

But my questions are still unanswered. Are you saying that a bootloader is not added by wtware?

Or if the bootloader is being added by wtware..what version is being added in wtware 5.8.88?

Thank you.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

This bootloader is not added by wtware.
greavette

Post by greavette »

Thank you for confirming this for me. Very much appreciate your feedback.

This is very interesting then. I also see that wtware can run only in memory which I think is great so if power is cut on these wtware thin clients there is no damage to the SD cards if the wtware O/S is running in memory.

These new Raspberry Pi 4's have different levels of Ram available. Is there a recommendation by wtware to use Pi 4's with 1GB or 2GB or 4GB of memory?

The reason I ask this is because I'm happy with my testing of wtware so far and have recommended that we implement wtware for some of our office thin clients. I've been given the approval to purchase 4 licenses and purchase 4 Raspberry Pi 4's. I'd like to ensure I purchase the Raspberry Pi 4's that wtware recommends works best for speed and performance of RDP through wtware to our Windows Desktops.

Thank you.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

greavette wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 pm These new Raspberry Pi 4's have different levels of Ram available. Is there a recommendation by wtware to use Pi 4's with 1GB or 2GB or 4GB of memory?
To run wtware as RDP client, 1GB is enough. Look at "memory" page at terminal http for actual memory usage.

To run local Chromium (local, not in RDP session on terminal server) 4GB is prefered. On 1GB, Chromium will run with simple sites, but stops with out-of-memory after opening several youtube pages.
greavette

Post by greavette »

Thank you very much for this information. Very much appreciated.