Video playback on terminal server.

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
Goggin43

Video playback on terminal server.

Post by Goggin43 »

I have a Pi 2 on the terminal server it has choppy video playback. Yes I know not the best thing to watch videos on a terminal server, But my boss wants to show that is works. Is there a video configuration setting that will help with this?
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Video playback on terminal server.

Post by aka »

No. No chance to play smooth video in terminal mode on Pi2.
Goggin43

Post by Goggin43 »

I know 2x has a client that video playback seems to be smooth with. But it is not as user friendly. Is it the issue of the network speed or the coding for the video drivers for the pi?
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

Did you see (see, not "know") smooth video on Pi2 over RDP? Please, upload THAT video and I'll try to play THAT video on WTware.

Network speed limits transfer of uncompressed video. 1920x1080x2 bytes per pixel ~= 4 megabyte per one screen. 4 * 25 = 100 megaBYTES per second for 25 frames. Network is 100 megaBIT.

Compressed video is a pain. There are millions of formats and codecs. Most of them need hardware acceleration. Most of them implemented only for one platform: for Windows on x86, or for Android. Local video player that supports most video formats is more complicated software than rdp client.
Goggin43

Post by Goggin43 »

2X has a agent that can be installed on the pi with a debain install of linux. The difference is that with that install you can choose how much memory is allocated to the gpu and how much is for the cpu. In our testing when we uped the video memory to 128mb the performance was much smoother in the terminal server. I was asking if you have a setting for that or what the current pi uses in form of a hardware config file that would allocate those resources?
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

Here is the manual about GPU memory size: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... fig-txt.md
gpu_mem= option.
I don't think it will affect perfomance in WTware. WTware did not use hardware acceleration.
J1mbo

Post by J1mbo »

RemoteFX supports H.264 session encoding on 2012R2; we were also wondering if this is supported by wtware. 2k8 has no acceleration in this respect though.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

We are working on this. Sorry, no terms for now.
thariel

Post by thariel »

I got another issue on a raspberry pi 3. Video playback stutters but as soon as I'm moving the mouse cursor the video plays super smooth.
I already set "redraw_delay = 50" in the configuration file. Its a bit better now, but its not as smooth as it is while moving the mouse cursor.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Btw.: Thanks for that great software!
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

In new versions we added new graphics codec. It looks much better, for more details see: http://forum.wtware.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47542