microsd reliability issues

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
fapedp

microsd reliability issues

Post by fapedp »

hello, in few mounths we have deployed about 35 raspberry pi3 wtware based thin clients.
at today we encountered some issues with microsd reliability because many time we found some pi "dead" and the problem was the microsd failure.
We have used some kingston and some sandisk cards, all sized at 16gb, all class 10.
All the time the problem comes out after a reboot of the thin client (example electric black out, software update, changed resolutions).

does anyone has some tip to resolve these frequent problems? maybe we need a particular microsd model? the actual stat is 6 failures on 35 thin clients deployed in about 3- 4 mounths wich is really too much.

also to foresee this issues, that as described comes out when terminal reboots for some reasons, should be very useful to be able to schedule a terminal reboot for example one time per week at random time/day.

Our fear is that terminal continue working with no warnings with the microsd failed, and this is dangerous because may generate mass failures on many terminals at the same time for exampe after an electric blackout. thank you in advice
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: microsd reliability issues

Post by akatik »

My tip is: turn terminals off at night. 6 failures of 35 terminals in 3-4 months is really too much and we had no such experience before.
fapedp

Post by fapedp »

akatik wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:58 am My tip is: turn terminals off at night. 6 failures of 35 terminals in 3-4 months is really too much and we had no such experience before.
we are using the official raspberry pi3 kit wich doesn't have a power button, so doing what you suggest will cause users to power up the pi at the morning by unplug and plug the power connector which is really too tricky.

for now we will try to update to latest wtware version and we will try another microsd vendor like samsung....
fapedp

Post by fapedp »

we are still recording, often, microsd's deads; also using another microsd vendor, also turning off the rpi outside office time.
we also see that during normal working the yellow led of raspberry blink with a certain frequency.
If I remember well, correct me if I am wrong, somewhere in your KB is writed that after boot the microsd should be unmounted to avoid microsd stress. How is possible that yellow link blinks if the microsd is unmounted ? do you have any tip to avoid microsd writes during normal working such as for example cache or temp files? thank you in advice.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Yellow led on raspberry??

Now (since chrome appeared in wtware for raspberry) microsd is mounted for reading. WTware stores binary files here to save some RAM. Only for reading. Everytime WTware mounts SD for writing, it writes to log. On regular boot, it should not mount sd for writing. Show me the log of regular boot, where you did not change config, did not enter setup menu and so on: https://wtware.com/logs.html
fapedp

Post by fapedp »

ok I just send everything on support@wtware.com