Generic CD installation disk

Topics that doesn't fall into the categories above
paul thomas

Generic CD installation disk

Post by paul thomas »

I've created a CD boot disk following the instructions and now have my old compaq m300 laptop working as a fast terminal!

The issue I have, is that I would like to use the same disk on another laptop, however I used the non dhcp install. I do not have a full dhcp server (just basic model in router) so it can not assign the tftp or wtwizard ip address. Is it possible to set these two values, but used dhcp to assign the terminal ip address?

Thanks
Paul
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

It should take terminal IP, netmask and router/gateway IP from any dhcp server. But you should place configuration file to the disk. And wtwizard will not work too.
paul thomas

Post by paul thomas »

Hi aka,

I'm not sure if I explained myself too well.

My dhcp server is in my netgear router and is very basic, all it can do is allocate a new ip address to a device. It can not handle the lookup of the wtftf server etc.
What I would like to do is supply the tftf & wtwizard ip addresses as the address of my vista PC (it works great with vista by the way! just need to add the wtware programs to the windows firewall) but allow the dhcp server to allocate the address for the terminal. This way I could produce one CD which I could then use to install on all my laptops. I am already getting the terminal config from the server.

Thanks
Paul
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

Right now there's two ways:
1. You write configuration file on the disc. Then terminal doesn't need tftp, it just receives network mask and terminal ip from dhcp. But to edit configuration file you'll have to rewrite CD.
2. You write network settings (network mask, terminal ip and tftp server ip) on the disc. The terminal receives configuration file from tftp, and won't ask DHCP for any information.
Unfortunately none of these ways corresponds all your requirements. You need wtware to ask dhcp for network mask and terminal ip, BUT to read tftp server IP from CD. Sorry, it's not implemented now.
paul thomas

Post by paul thomas »

Thanks for the reply. Option 1 should work for now as I use the same config on identical machines.

I think the option I mentioned would be useful, to allow a simple installation over a more mixed client machine base.