Disable NLA on Windows 2022 Server RDS

Topics that doesn't fall into the categories above
Bitpusher

Disable NLA on Windows 2022 Server RDS

Post by Bitpusher »

I have followed the directions here: https://wtware.com/win/nla.html on my Windows 2022 Servers Running RDS and I cannot get it to connect without using NLA. This is a problem as the users would have no way to change their password if it becomes expired. I have tested this on a Windows 10 pc using RDP and I can disable the NLA. In addition to the webpage I have turned "Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with NLA" off on both the broker and the two session hosts. That does not seem to work either and I have also tried disabling through gpedit
Navigate here: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services > Remote Desktop Session Host > Security. On the right pane, find Require user authentication for remote connections by using Network Level Authentication and Setting it to disabled. That doesn't seem to work either. Also tried Enabling "Require use of specific security layer for RDP connections" and using both the RDP and Negotiate selections. This also did not seem to work.

Here is my config file in WTware:

sleep = 10
sound = on, hw:1:0
sound_level = 75, infobox
infobox = reboot
wtrc = on
wtrc_password = Gr@phics
clienthostname = CAALTRNPI01
connection
server=caalrkcb1.xxxxxxx.com
loadbalanceinfo = tsv://MS Terminal Services Plugin.1.CAALRKCB1_Collec
shell = ||msedge
displayName=Alliston User Login
connection
application=reboot
displayName=Reboot Pi

Any ideas how i can get this to work ?

Thanks,

Bitpusher...
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Disable NLA on Windows 2022 Server RDS

Post by akatik »

Windows 2022 Server RDS allows to disable NLA. I have some of them and I tested it. Sorry, I'm not a Microsoft expert and can not list every place in windows with domain where NLA can be configured. I think, there are more than ten of such places...

Problem is to change password?

Make another server in the same domain. Server, not farm with broker. For passwords change only. Virtual Windows 10 should do.

Disable NLA on this server to make windows login interface works.

Disable login for everyone except Administrators.

Windows allows to change password in windows interface because NLA is turned off but does not allow to login regular user because only Admins can login.
Bitpusher

Re: Disable NLA on Windows 2022 Server RDS

Post by Bitpusher »

I have already tested and planned to use a Windows 10 VM as a workaround if I cannot get NLA successfully turned off in Server 2022 RDS. I did not know that it would offer to change the password and not allow login if logons were not enabled for anyone but administrators and I like this feature. I assume since they aren't logged in that there will be no profile created for the user, but I will test this.

If anyone knows if there are any additional steps I would appreciate knowing as adding an additional vm still requires more resources both on the server environment and on the staff for patching and preventative maintenance.

Thanks,

Bitpusher...