Host with MAC xxx uses same IP as this terminal

WTware network boot ways - bootable floppy, DOS, PXE-loaders, BootROM chips.
Food01

Host with MAC xxx uses same IP as this terminal

Post by Food01 »

Hi there,

we are having some issues since we have updated our WTware installation to the latest version. Sone of our clients are getting a fatal error message which says "Hist with MAC xyz uses the same IP as this terminal". We had this issue with earlier versions but it didn't happen since a few month. We did not change anything in our infrastructure and EVERY Thin Client has it's own reservation so technically this could not happen and we are having only one DHCP-Server in our environment. Each client boots over network (http). There must be an issue with the latest release of your software. What can we do to solve this issue? When we poweroff the thin client and turn it on afterwards it comes up normally and works like it should.

We are using Raspberry PI's (3B and 3B+) for single monitoring and Zotac BI324 x86 Hardware for dual monitoring. Both hardware has the same issue.

At the moment we are planning to go back to the version before (5.8.38).

Please help us to solve this issue.

Thanks
Attachments
Unbenannt2.PNG
Unbenannt2.PNG (105.96 KiB) Viewed 23985 times
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Host with MAC xxx uses same IP as this terminal

Post by akatik »

Food01 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm ...so technically this could not happen...
Another wrongly configured DHCP server in network printer, Wifi access point, hardware router and so on could not happend? Tell me how.

The only way to fix this issue is to find wrongly configured DHCP or other source of IP reusing and fix it. When WTware says someone uses their IP, then someone uses their IP. Sure.
Food01

Post by Food01 »

Thank you for the information. I will investigate on that. At the weekend I have stopped our DHCP daemon and I tried to get an DHCP lease in a virtual machine. I didn't receive an IP and the network adapter got an APIPA. This week I will observe our network and I will run a tool from microsoft (dhcploc.exe), which logs DHCP-Traffic. I will report if there are any updates on this case. But it is very strange that there were no problems for month and after the upgrade to the latest version we are having this Problem on many clients.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Terminal 'A' displays error message "Host with MAC mac-address-of-terminal-'B' uses the same IP..."

Look into DHCP configuration and find, which MAC should use this IP.

Turn off terminal that SHOULD use this IP. DO NOT REBOOT ANOTHER ONE, that SHOULD NOT use IP! It losts log after reboot.

Take log from terminal that SHOULD NOT use this IP. Try to open terminal web interface from different windows computers to get log.

In log, there will be an IP of DHCP server where terminal takes IP from.
Food01

Post by Food01 »

Hi there,

today the same thing happend again. I have done the things you said. I have detectet the terminal that should not use the ip-adress. I have powered off th other terminal and i have saved the log files from the terminal that should not use this ip adress. In the log file there is the correct DHCP-Server. Also when I turn off the Client, that should use the ip address and i start pinging the ip there is no response. When I ping the others terminal correct ip adress I get answer and the webserver is there as well.

I am running a microsoft tool called dhcploc.exe for weeks now, which logs all the dhcp traffic in the network and there is no second dhcp server detected. It's a little bit confusing.
Food01

Post by Food01 »

Same thing today. I can ping both devices. I checked the logs and there is no conflict in IP-Adresses. Every device gets his own ip-address and I can reach both devices via webbrowser. Maybe I can send you the log-files from both devices.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Maybe you can follow the instruction I wrote?
Food01

Post by Food01 »

Hi,

I have some Logs for you from both devices. The behaviour happed a couple of times again and when it happened I saved the Logs from both devices. How can I send it to you? One more question. Is it a Problem to mix PI's and x86 Hardware? Because we figuered out that this Mac uses same IP adress happens for the combination of pi's and x86 hardware.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

Food01 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:39 am The behaviour happed a couple of times again and when it happened I saved the Logs from both devices. How can I send it to you?
email to support@wtware.com
Food01 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:39 am One more question. Is it a Problem to mix PI's and x86 Hardware?
No.
Food01

Post by Food01 »

Logs send...