Raspberry Pi Thermal Throttling

Problems with video cards. Screen frequency refresh. Terminal speed.
baltar003

Raspberry Pi Thermal Throttling

Post by baltar003 »

Hello. I have a raspberry pi running WTWare v6.0.98 that is remoting into a windows 10 environment. A video feed is being played in the windows environment. After a few minutes, the raspberry Pi thermal throttles at 80 deg Celcius. I tried using the parameter redraw_delay, but it does not seem to help. I set the parameter to 1000 (1 second). It does not appear to actually change the refresh rate. The screen is updating much faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
config.7z
(562 Bytes) Downloaded 492 times
Log.7z
(46.43 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: Raspberry Pi Thermal Throttling

Post by akatik »

If hardware overheated, you may:

1. Add heat sink.
2. Use metal case that acts as large heat sink (look at reviews, there are lot of useless metal cases for Pi which do not dissipate heat).
3. Use another x86 hardware, with more perfomance.

There is no software method to dissipate heat.
baltar003

Post by baltar003 »

@akatik Thanks for the suggestions. I tried heatsinks, but they weren't sufficient. That's why I was hoping to use the redraw_delay parameter to lessen the framerate and consequently the cpu burden. My understanding of this parameter is that it adjusts the framerate. Perhaps I misinterpreted the documentation.
baltar003

Post by baltar003 »

I ended up finding a parameter that solved my issue. In the config, there is a commented out parameter called arm_freq. I uncommented that and experimented until the throttling stopped. The small drop in performance was far better than the instability due to thermal throttling.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Documentation is outdated. redraw_delay= is from ancient time when the most complicated task for thin client was to draw font chars. It's ignored with newer video codecs. We should remove it now.

There is no way to adjust video frame rate, sorry.
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by aka »

For all others: parameter called arm_freq is Raspberry firmware parameter in config.txt file on boot SD. Here is manual about Raspberry parameters in config.txt

https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentati ... g_txt.html