WTWare, Pi3 to RDP VM's

All about WTware on Raspberry. WTware works with Raspberry Pi 4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Pi 3 and Pi 2 devices
http://www.winterminal.com
Penguinista

WTWare, Pi3 to RDP VM's

Post by Penguinista »

I am looking to evaluate the WTware on Pi3's as our thin client.

We currently use a VM hypervisor (do NOT confuse with a similar specific VM product, we do not use) which provides RDP access to the VM's.

These VM's provide the desktop(s) for the OS installed, which is NOT ms.

I have a few questions:

1) I have downloaded the "archive" of the WTware for Pi3. What we need to know is how to write this to a SD card? This is not a image so DD will not function. Like when we copy SD cards for the Pi3's.

The "exe" version of this and the "SD Creator" are NOT OPTIONS! We have NO ms software! Strictly 100% Linux from server to desktop(s).

The VM hypervisor provides an RDP connection for each VM running the desktop(s). We currently connect via heavy clients using krdc over our LAN. We wish to remove the heavy clients to a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a Pi3 connected via WTware to the VM hypervisor

2) Configuration

How to configure manually to connect to the RDP server.

We want the Pi3(s) to boot from the SD card we create, connect to the rdp server for that desktop, example:

Desktop 1 is at : 192.168,0.150:3394

Desktop 2 is at : 192.168.0.150:3395

etc..

Printing will be done via network based printers already configured in the desktop VM's.

Sound, at least output from the RDP session should be forwarded to the WTware Pi3 clients, the VM hypervisor does this now via KRDC.

I've looked around the site and forum, but this seems to be centric to a setup/system which we don't use, ie: ms software.

Any pointers on how to create the SD cards for the Pi3's and then create the config file to point it to the RDP server on the VM hypervisor. I am not sure what file to edit to create the configuration for the RDP sessions.

Thanks!
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Re: WTWare, Pi3 to RDP VM's

Post by aka »

Penguinista wrote:NOT OPTIONS! We have NO ms software! Strictly 100% Linux from server to desktop(s).
Find windows notebook and install WTware on it. And write first SD. You may do it somewhere far away from your strictly 100% Linux from server to desktop(s).

WTware SD for PI is a single partition FAT/FAT32 formatted SD with files on it. No bootsector/partition magic. So you can copy it on your 100% Linux.

I strongly recommend to bring windows notebook with WTware to your 100% Linux environment to look at Configurator when writing configs. Config is a text file and you can write it in 100% Linux text editor, and we have several kilobytes of documentation, but GUI Configurator will help you to understand config syntax and structure.
Penguinista

Post by Penguinista »

aka wrote: Find windows notebook and install WTware on it. And write first SD. You may do it somewhere far away from your strictly 100% Linux from server to desktop(s).
Thanks for the reply, but ms software is not available. Nor it is an option to bring in. We are strictly Linux.
aka wrote: WTware SD for PI is a single partition FAT/FAT32 formatted SD with files on it. No bootsector/partition magic. So you can copy it on your 100% Linux.
We'll give etcher a go to see if the Pi3's like it writing that, and the ROM finds the stage 2 file to go forward with the boot process.
aka wrote: I strongly recommend to bring windows notebook with WTware to your 100% Linux environment to look at Configurator when writing configs. Config is a text file and you can write it in 100% Linux text editor, and we have several kilobytes of documentation, but GUI Configurator will help you to understand config syntax and structure.
Thanks, but ms is not an option for us.

I will offers this input in the category of constructive input, that I strongly urge you to detail how to setup, install, and use your software for Linux users like myself. A detailed outline of the options in the text file, variables they take, and their uses.

Basically a good starting example for users to start from in the options that exist

1) Boot from SD card - which is probably the most likely.

Put config.wtc into root of SD card, with options as needed etc..

2) Netboot

3) etc..

Your main audience may be non Linux users, but in my environment there is no MS. The hypervisor for the VM's is provided by a leading VM software,

Thanks again for the reply. I'll see if etcher written will boot this up.
akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Post by akatik »

Our main audience is Windows system administrators. Our main goal is to connect thin clients to Windows Terminal Server. We have heaps of documentation on our site:
http://wtware.com/docs5/config.html
http://wtware.com/docs5/configfile.html
etc...
but we are sure than nobody reads manuals.
That's why we wrote configurator. It's main goal is to avoid any questions about how to do and what to do.
We even added our services - DHCP and TFTP - to make everything work out of box. Users that are trying to work with their services have more headache with network configuration.
And we have no such intention - to make WTware software for all. If you have ms software available then perhaps thin client intended to see Windows Terminal Server desktop on users' screen is not what you need.