Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

All about WTware on Raspberry. Wtware works with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Pi 2 Model B devices
http://www.winterminal.com
iTenol
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 am

Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby iTenol » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:58 pm

I see there is plenty of reference to booting from LOCAL network but little from my understanding on how to boot from HTTP over cloud

What I would like to do is power up Pi3 > Get IP from local LAN DHCP

Then get config from HTTP in the cloud.

Our DCHP is served from a hardware firewall which does not permit us to setup dhcp options and parameters, we have no local server as such so installing IIS etc in the local environment is not an options, all our data is in the cloud.

Can this be done and is there anyone who has done something similar. If so what are the steps or is there any documentation out there

Thank in advance.

J1mbo
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby J1mbo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Configure your local device to DHCP relay to a more functional DHCP server instead, which could also be in AWS/Azure if you like. Then you can control it as you need.

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby aka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:40 pm

iTenol wrote:from my understanding on how to boot from HTTP over cloud


First of all understand the difference between boot and configuration. Boot is downloading operating system binary files. Raspberry can not boot over HTTP. No way. Absolutely.

iTenol wrote:What I would like to do is power up Pi3 > Get IP from local LAN DHCP


No problems, if you boot from local SD.

iTenol wrote:Then get config from HTTP in the cloud.


No problems, if you boot from local SD. Press Del in the very beginning, type password if you specified one and in the text menu choose to download configuration from HTTP.

radicspeter
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby radicspeter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:26 pm

aka wrote:
iTenol wrote:from my understanding on how to boot from HTTP over cloud


First of all understand the difference between boot and configuration. Boot is downloading operating system binary files. Raspberry can not boot over HTTP. No way. Absolutely.

iTenol wrote:What I would like to do is power up Pi3 > Get IP from local LAN DHCP


No problems, if you boot from local SD.

iTenol wrote:Then get config from HTTP in the cloud.


No problems, if you boot from local SD. Press Del in the very beginning, type password if you specified one and in the text menu choose to download configuration from HTTP.

if i boot by network, it is impossible to use TFTP and HTTP server too?
Can we use HTTP server only when we boot by local?

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby aka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:57 pm

radicspeter wrote:if i boot by network, it is impossible to use TFTP and HTTP server too?
Can we use HTTP server only when we boot by local?

I don't understand the reason. What do you want to use HTTP for?

radicspeter
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby radicspeter » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:48 pm

aka wrote:
radicspeter wrote:if i boot by network, it is impossible to use TFTP and HTTP server too?
Can we use HTTP server only when we boot by local?

I don't understand the reason. What do you want to use HTTP for?


Okay, if i choose network boot option, my config files transfer only by TFTP...
Képkivágás.PNG
Képkivágás.PNG (12.8 KiB) Viewed 967 times

And if i choose local boot option, there is an option to use HTTP server to transfer my config files...
Képkivágás2.PNG
Képkivágás2.PNG (9.62 KiB) Viewed 967 times


1.)
if i use network boot in Raspberry Pi 2, it can only use TFTP server?

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby aka » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

radicspeter wrote:Okay, if i choose network boot option, my config files transfer only by TFTP...


If you choose network boot option, this means that you have TFTP server (because Raspberry firmware can boot by network only using TFTP, it's Raspberry firmware limitation. Raspberry firmware can't download files by HTTP) nearby. Raspberry firmware loads WTware binary files by TFTP. After WTware binary files loaded and WTware started, we can add HTTP config downloading, but I don't understand the reason. Why do you want to download small configs over HTTP if you have TFTP server nearby?

radicspeter wrote:And if i choose local boot option, there is an option to use HTTP server to transfer my config files...
1.) if i use network boot in Raspberry Pi 2, it can only use TFTP server?


When you use local boot, you do not need to have TFTP nearby. Raspberry firmware, that doesn't handle HTTP, boots WTware from SD card. WTware handles HTTP and WTware can download configs from everywhere.

radicspeter
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby radicspeter » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:54 am

aka wrote:
radicspeter wrote:Okay, if i choose network boot option, my config files transfer only by TFTP...


If you choose network boot option, this means that you have TFTP server (because Raspberry firmware can boot by network only using TFTP, it's Raspberry firmware limitation. Raspberry firmware can't download files by HTTP) nearby. Raspberry firmware loads WTware binary files by TFTP. After WTware binary files loaded and WTware started, we can add HTTP config downloading, but I don't understand the reason. Why do you want to download small configs over HTTP if you have TFTP server nearby?


Yes :wink: , the config over TFTP is better in this case. Now i see clear how it is working. Aka, what do you do, if you have a Windows Server 2012R2 on the cloud (google cloud), and you want to use this server to boot RP2s via TFTP...? Is it possible from the cloud?

(With local boot downloading config files from this server tested and working good. )

akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Boot Wtware on PI from HTTP in Cloud

Postby akatik » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:54 am

radicspeter wrote:and you want to use this server to boot RP2s via TFTP...?


Install open firmware with configurable DHCP and TFTP on router.

radicspeter wrote:Is it possible from the cloud?


No.


Return to “WTware on Raspberry Pi 3 / Raspberry Pi 2”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest