Raspberry network boot - WTware edition

All about WTware on Raspberry. Wtware works with Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Pi 2 Model B devices
http://www.winterminal.com
aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Raspberry network boot - WTware edition

Postby aka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 pm

Pi 3 is able to boot by network without SD. Manual for Raspberry Pi 3:

1. Istall WTware from .exe installer. Select to install WTware TFTP.
2. Run configurator. In the left upper corner there button with Raspberry.
3. Create "Programming SD" and boot Raspberry from it.

That's all. It should boot by network with SD since then. At boot start there's a pause for about 10 secons.

Sometimes it doesn't work. Here are all possible network problems (raspberry problems, it's not WTware fault):

Errors of DHCP/PXE realization:
* Although the Pi sets the vendor class option 60 to “PXEClient:Arch:00000:UNDI:002001”, this is not PXE compliant.
* The pi does not send a DHCPREQUEST packet before it starts to use the IP addr in the DHCPOFFER packet.
* DHCP option next-server is ignored, use DHCP Option 66 to specify a different TFTP server address.
* ARCH Option 93 is set to an unexpected value in the DHCPDISCOVER packet. It is set to 0 (Standard PC BIOS).
* DHCP option filename is ignored. start.elf (with or without the serial number as a prefix) is used as a filename instead.

Bootrom errors during boot without SD card:
* When the boot ROM enables the Ethernet link, it first waits for the link to come up, then sends its first DHCP request packet. This is sometimes too quick for the switch to which the Raspberry Pi is connected: we believe that the switch may throw away packets it receives very soon after the link first comes up.
* The DHCP packet retransmission loop is not timing out correctly, so the DHCP packet will not be retransmitted.
* DHCP Option 3 (routers) is not requested (so the Pi cannot contact a server that is located in a different subnet). Even if the DHCP server is forced to provide this option, the Pi seems to ignore it.

Manual for Raspberry Pi 2, and for Pi 3, if you failed to boot without SD:

1. Run WTware from .exe installer. Select to install WTware TFTP.
2. Run configurator. In the left upper corner there button with Raspberry.
3. Create "Bood SD card for Pi 2".

On this boot card there's only one file bootcode.bin. We do hope that this file will be compatible with newer kernels and Raspberry firmware, i.e. this SD you won't have to rewrite for next versions. If it will be so, raspberry boot by network will finally have sense.

Update: since 5.4.86, 067 dhcp option is not needed anymore FOR RASPBERRY NETWORK BOOT (but needed for x86 and may be used for raspberry local boot). WTware will ignore 067 while booting raspberry by network as raspberry firmware does.

uncle_muddy

Re: Raspberry network boot - WTware edition

Postby uncle_muddy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi aka,

Does this allow for boot without the SD card? Its a little confusing

3. Create "Programming SD" and boot Raspberry from it.

That's all. It should boot by network with SD since then. At boot start there's a pause for about 10 secons.

Bootrom errors during boot without SD card:
* When the boot ROM enables the Ethernet link, it first waits for the link to come up, then sends its first DHCP request packet. This is sometimes too quick for the switch to which the Raspberry Pi is connected: we believe that the switch may throw away packets it receives very soon after the link first comes up.
* The DHCP packet retransmission loop is not timing out correctly, so the DHCP packet will not be retransmitted.
* DHCP Option 3 (routers) is not requested (so the Pi cannot contact a server that is located in a different subnet). Even if the DHCP server is forced to provide this option, the Pi seems to ignore it.

If you could clarify please

UM

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Postby aka » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Yes, sometimes (when none of "Bootrom errors" happened) Raspberry Pi 3 allows to boot without the SD card. DHCP and TFTP servers should be available in the network, WTware installs both.

Speedy

Postby Speedy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

How we can edit config.txt file if we not used SD card anymore ?

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Postby aka » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:29 am

Copy file config.txt from:
C:\Program Files (x86)\WTware\TFTPDROOT\5.4.82\pi2\localboot\
into:
C:\ProgramData\WTware\Terminals\{Your RPi MAC-address}\

ccnet

Postby ccnet » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:01 pm

I tried and with wtware DHCP and TFTP it is working , that is, in my case my pi3 boots perfectly through Network , but when I used tftpd32 as my DHCP and TFTP , I am not able to do the success.
In previous versions "BootFile" parameter was set to "5.4.84\kernel7.img" but now "kernel7.img" is in the root path what to do ?

aka
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Postby aka » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 pm

ccnet wrote:but when I used tftpd32 as my DHCP and TFTP , I am not able to do the success.

There are several cheats in WTware TFTP for Raspberry.
Using any other TFTP, download WTware distributive in .zip (there are right directory structures) and read official raspberry manual: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... utorial.md

ccnet wrote:In previous versions "BootFile" parameter was set to "5.4.84\kernel7.img" but now "kernel7.img" is in the root path what to do ?

Raspberry firmware ignores 067. But WTware needs it, so "5.4.84\kernel7.img" is good value. Or common with x86 "5.4.84\wtware.pxe"

bm030

Postby bm030 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:03 am

ccnet wrote:Raspberry firmware ignores 067. But WTware needs it, so "5.4.84\kernel7.img" is good value. Or common with x86 "5.4.84\wtware.pxe"

there is no file "5.4.84\kernel7.img" in the "5.4.84" Folder i use the old one. is that forgotten?

akatik
SUPPORT
SUPPORT

Postby akatik » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

It's not needed anymore.
Raspbery firmware ignores 067.
WTware reads path to file but not the file itself.
You can write "5.4.84\wtware.pxe" here.

bm030

Postby bm030 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 pm

akatik wrote:It's not needed anymore.
Raspbery firmware ignores 067.
WTware reads path to file but not the file itself.
You can write "5.4.84\wtware.pxe" here.

since version 78 our raspis do not boot anymore version 78 is the last version with parameter 067 5.4.78\kernel7.img the parameter 5.4.84\wtware.pxe or 5.4.90\wtware.pxe will not work, the raspis will load the pxe File, so they will not ignore the options

the files in the raspi2 folder also not work for booting

usb errors are showing

did you have any ideas?

Return to “WTware on Raspberry Pi 3 / Raspberry Pi 2”